Originally Posted by djs
I know that some folks are hoarding ammo, but seriously, how much does one really need?

I believe the the current shortages are a result of panic hoarding. There is very little sentiment for ammo bans and I can not envision a scenario in which a person would need more than 300 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo and a similar amount of pistol ammo (I exclude rimfire ammo from this number as it is very useful for small game and foraging). Even under extreme conditions of attack, by the time one has expended 250+ rounds, the problem is either solved or the individual is over-run.

I occasionally watch "Doomsday Preppers" and beleive that the guys with 10,000 rounds of .223 ammo are an excellent example of unnecessary hoarding. These folks are preparing for a very-long term hold-out situation that I can not envision as being realistic.

Let's assume that the US is invaded by a foreign army (as some apparently believe). One or two people holed up in a home or remote shelter with 10,000 rounds of ammo will be over-run or blasted out of existence before expending 300 rounds (unless they have a full-auto firearm). And, defending yourself from the marauding masses will be difficult as well.

Looking at today's situation for CCW carry, we regularly go out with a loaded pistol and 2 loaded magazines. If three magazines of 45 ACP is not enough, you've got other problems.

Just my thoughts.

Having shot upwards of 20,000 rounds of 223 a year in shooting, I disagree with amounts of ammo.....

I'd hate to think what we'd have gone through if we were ever to get into IDPA or IPSC seriously.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....