I think that you will find that "Mauser", which is NOT the same company as that which existed prior to the horrific human tragedy we know as "WWII", DOES in fact produce the original "Patterne 98" sporting rifles or, at least, close facsimiles of them.

The issue is that the basic model as I found when I enquired of a Canadian dealer in their products, last year, is priced at $15,000+ CDN. and then it would take a YEAR to get one......

I am a rockhard Mauser guy, I actually do own a fine Oberndorf Type B, in 9.3x62 of 1937 vintage and it shoots "dambusters" as one would expect. I consider Mauser to have been THE finest riflemaker of the pre-war period and think their destruction in the war to have been one of the very worst tragedies of that terrible event in human history.

But, how many guys can REALLY afford rifles that start at 15K per unit and, for those of us who can,most would prefer to have one built by a master such as Duane Weibe, Reto Buehler, Ralf Martini or perhaps one of the British or Euro. custom makers.

Just a thot, but, I doubt that they COULD produce a genuine "98" of the quality we see in even the better military versions, such as the 1930s South American models, at a price that 95% of today's rifle nuts would pay, whether they could afford it or not.

JStuart, I DID reply to your recent PM, sorry, it slipped my mind for a couple of days, but, I was not ignoring you, perhaps you can retrieve my answer on your end?