A New York state resident deer hunter could legally give that a try; can you believe it? Here's the implement description for handguns used for big game according to that bunch of geniuses: "HANDGUN- ANY CENTERFIRE PISTOL OR REVOLVER. BARREL LENGTH MAY NOT EXCEED 16 INCHES. NOTE: NONRESIDENTS MAY NOT USE HANDGUNS TO HUNT IN NEW YORK". So according to them I could use a 25 ACP, cause it's a centerfire. Back in 2011 I used a 9mm on my buck in a shotgun/handgun zone but that was just to finish him off after I knocked him down with my 870 12 ga. A couple 9mm's to the back of the head/neck area from about 6-8 inches away did the trick nicely. I didn't want to have to finish things with another 12 ga. sabot because 12 ga. sabots are about $2. per round and I'm a cheapskate. At that range the 9mm Luger cartridge worked pretty good and gave me a good story to recount. I did it for one of my late uncles and I was using the Luger handgun he brought home from Germany in 1945. Couple years before he passed away in 2001 we talked about doing something like that and I finally got to do it.