Originally Posted by BWalker
Not to mention the shearing effect many atv engines have on oil...Oil is cheap insurance.

Never had an ATV, but have worked on a few for people....

have had several air cooled Motorcycles tho over the years...

must be left over from my old college days and keeping VWs on the road...

I know you can't run 'any old oil' in an application with a wet clutch, unless you want to have to replace it earlier than need be...

In the motorcycles I have owned, I only rode them in warm to hot weather, and I let them warm up a little, like I do any engine, before I take off in it...

so due to that and the shear factor, I ran plain old diesel rated 30 wt... If I had to run Multi Wt for any reason, then it would be a good name brand 15 W 40.... I am partial to Mobil brand oils tho...

I'd put 8 to 10,000 miles a year on a motorcycle, so I'd usually do two changes a year.... the second on July 15th which would be half of riding season over with...

My motorcycles were Hondas, and I checked it out and found out it worked, instead of the spendy small motorcycle filters, I found a Honda Car filter would spin right on there and was also was bigger, and cheaper and could be picked up at any auto parts store....so I just ran a high quality brand auto filter...

would spray paint the filter cannister flat black before installing it..., so I didn't get any crap from some of those motorcycle purists...