I just picked up my first bolt gun and I'm excited to get it rigged up for opening day. I was invited on a deer hunt so that was my main excuse to add another gun to the safe. I usually shoot things with feathers, so I am quick to admit that I have a lot to learn when it comes to setting up a suitable hunting rifle. My only other rifle (besides a couple .22LRs) is DD M4V5 in 300 BLK, with Leupold 1.5-4x20 VX-R.

The main goal of this gun is a lightweight deer rifle that's easily handled in a box blind and can provide versatility taking TX big game. The place I will be hunting this year will offer shots up to a MAX of 150 yards, however, I do want to learn how to be effective out to the ballistic limits of the 7mm-08. Therefore, I would like the scope not to limit me, if for example, a few years from now I needed to shoot out to 300+ yards. Obviously lowlight performance is a factor hunting deer at dusk/dawn.

Do you have any suggestions on selecting a scope based on the info above? I've done a little research on the Nikon ProStaff and the new ProStaff 5. 3-9x40, 4-12x40, 3.5-14x40. I'm curious about other offerings that you have had experience within this price range. Thanks!