Every once in a while, I see information on the Campfire which s just plain wrong. This would fit into that category. While I think the use of a custom action (generally derived from the 700 design)is a fine idea the rest of the post is on the verge of fantasy
The statement that the ring of steel next to the case head is soft steel would lead one to believe Remington just made this portion of the bolt from mild steel; this is not the case. The bolt head is 4140 and the nose is part of the head. The Remington bolt is meant to expand in the event of a catastrophic case failure and seal the gases (mostly) within the barrel when it contacts the counterbore. It does this. Some gase will escape back through the firing pin hole and this gas is vented imto the left raceway (this is a design flaw IMO). Cutting into the bolt nose to install a Sako extractor does allow gas to excape via this slot. More than this, the extractor can also be blown out of the receiver and become a deadly projectile. Having said this, I have two Remingtons on which I have installed Sako extractors and I still use them but I can't deny that they are not the ideal. GD