Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Recruit
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I do a little backpacking and adventure racing so am in relatively decent shape. Not great though so will be putting the hammer down this winter to get in excellent shape. Also have two good pair of boots and pack. Binos will be the final upgrade...famous last words.

In the spirit of overthinking the rifle, I traded the BAR on a Ruger M77 30-06 yesterday. It's a tad lighter and the cold weather concerns with a semi-auto mentioned gave me enough excuse. Sounds like both concerns could be rectified but must admit part of the equation was just wanting a another rifle. Figure I have plenty of time now to practice with it and therefore no excuse for making a bad shot when the time comes!

Excellent choice in rifles right there. Now we want to hear more about it. Is it blued/wood or stainless with a boat paddle stock, newer Hawkeye or MKII, or older yet a tang safety model?? I love my Rugers and my 338 M77 MKII is my primary elk rifle. We can never "overthink" our elk rifles, especially in the off season wink

Well here is what all the hubbub lead to:

[Linked Image]

Its 1989 vintage so am not sure if Ruger made the barrel or Wilson did. Isn't this right about the time Ruger made the change? Also, anyone know if the laminate stock is stock or aftermarket? The butt pad is not exactly soft eek