Took the M77 on her maiden voyage to the range today. Or perhaps more accurately our maiden voyage. Anyway, shot about 50 rounds and bottom line is...I like! My relative graciously loaned me his Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9. Weather was a sunny 20F with low-medium wind.

Started at 25 to get the scope close, then to 50 and finally to 100. Everything went as expected until at 100 yards. Was shooting way left for some reason. Thought about adjusting windage but could tell something just wasn't right. How could I be right on at 50 and 8-10" left at 100? Looked through the scope again and noticed the cross-hairs were no longer horizontal/vertical. Sure enough a loose scope. frown Next time I'll be using blue loctite. Tighted it back down, took three shots, adjusted windage a smidge and I'm back in the ball park. Half dozen more shots into a 5" group and yes, it's apparent I have plenty of practice to do grin

Now the overthinking part. I know part of reason for the large group is me...no question. But the barrel was smokin hot at this point and also wondered about the early barrels on M77's with long throats.

For those than hunt only, do you go to the pains of bedding, trigger work, reloading at the appropriate OAL for your rifle, let the barrel cool, etc? I'm not looking for a competition shooter but at the same time want it accurate enough to consistently hit the boiler room on an elk and not wound it. Again, I have lots of room for improvement. The gun, maybe not so much...or maybe so?