I was a little disapointed that they only looked at the 4 packs you see mentioned 'the most' on the hunting forums. I've used a lot of packs - including some much like the ones rated - and I don't that style of pack (bag on a frame) anymore period.

I like a pack like the Granite gear Stratus flatbed (or for the cheaper LL Bean 'carryall'). More of an external frame back, but with an internal frame suspension. The best of both worlds so to speak.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stratus-Flatbed-P21.aspx

I have a kifaru gun bearer on mine too. Much easier to load up with meat. I put all my gear into a drybag and put it on the pack.

This past fall I had my gear and 140 pounds of elk on it. I've noticed that the local hunting store is even selling the pack hunters here on Kodiak Island, and all the hunters i hunt with use it. But yet you never read about it on the hunting forums.

It seems the ones you do read about all have a bag that you stick meat down into. That said for many years I used the Kifaru long hunter - just the frame without the bag. And it was OK - but I pretty much killed it hauling meat. The new granite gear pack carries way heavier loads much more easily. Only issue is that the frame alone is pretty heavy.

Patrick