Ok, time to do my best to answer the "Jack of All Trades" question.

The short answer is no, I don't believe that there is one pack that can do absolutely everything. I do however believe that it is possible to find a pack that will do just about everything an individual user wants it to do.

For this review, well I will probably reach for the SG the most when packing for a hunt or scouting trip. But that doesn't mean it will be the best for every application. For a wet trip I would want the Paradox, hands down. Deer season this year was really wet and I would have liked to use it then. My wife loved the Kifaru, and it was comfortable for me too. When the SG wouldn't cut it size wise, this pack would be my top choice. All about trade offs and options.

This is why we put the graphs together, you know what is important for you. Once you know, sync it up to the graph. If these packs were on your short list, you have a great tool to figure our what is your best option.

Nevada kept the Kifaru, for his style and body shape it was what he wanted. I kept the SG because I really liked what it had to offer and am pretty excited to try out some of the new bags they will be offering. I WILL be buying a Paradox, especially with the new bag options coming soon. Nevada has told me that he intends to try one as well, and is really looking forward to seeing the changes they made after we shipped the pack off.

The MR will be traded off soon, I have never used the Timberline series from Kifaru, and I found someone who wanted to try the Metcalf.

I have seen it documented fairly well here that you all like to buy knives, so this analogy may work pretty well. Gerber and Leatherman make some pretty sweet multi-tools. We look at what tools they have, how many blades, and how many functions they have. My Dad will only use a Gerber while I don't have much brand loyalty. To him that is important. We could go in shopping on the same day and buy two very different multi-tools from different companies and be happy customers.

Packs are the same way, and it may take you a few tries to get the one that you like the best. I am a gear nut and will likely keep buying packs until I am too old to be in the mountains. I doubt I will ever find a perfect pack, but I will probably find a few that I will have a VERY hard time parting with. Those will be the ones that stand out in my mind as "Jack of All Trades" packs.