The fact that "Clearances" were quite a bit roomier, and the "Marine Bearings" of that day were WAY more tolerant of particulate debris in the engine's oil,.....does NOT mean one should behave like a swine.

"Caulk" the ports individually with clean Rags or Paper Shop towels, and try and be REAL meticulous about wiping off all residual grinding compound, prior to reassembly.

Make yourself a "Valve Stick" and keep track of who goes where, in terms of Respective holes.

You ARE going to need a spring compressor, and you'd damn sure better plug all your oil raceways in the valve gallery ,....prior to srarting the "Knockdown",.....a lost keeper battering in the wrong area is no joke ( even though they'll mostly just disappear, you're still going to be SHORT one keeper).

I make up alla' my gallery plugs beforehand, with stout twine or wire attached to whatever I'm using,....I don't want little chunks of rag zooming around inside, either.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/11/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain