Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Phil,

Even in my 30's, I found that humping packs on steep and/or uneven terrain was a LOT easier when I had a pair of lightweight ski poles along. Fewer stumbles, easing a bit of strain off of the legs etc... Enough so that it easily compensated for the pound of extra weight. Do you use them? A single pole? Hardcore it?

Regards,
Scott

I am surprised nobody has come up with a little do-hickey that allows ski poles to be quickly and quietly clipped to form a set of shooting sticks..I am not talking about rubber bands or Velcro, but a male/female pivoting quick disconnect fixture which allows the poles to be used for walking as normal but still convert to shooting sticks when required..

Leupold once offered a walking stick with a magnetic/ swiveling head and low fold out legs. I still have one around somewhere but seldom use it as it is a fairly heavy walking stick and a poor tripod.
The Bog Pod is another that looks good on paper but I have not found it worthwhile in the field

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.