I do think the 243 is a tad small, that's why I hunt with a 250 Savage. That was a joke. My hunting buddy has a 243 that he used to swear by. I used it one year and made a neck shot on a little 85 pound spike buck at 187 paces. I was impressed, but until that shot, most of my kills were under 100 yards with a 35 Rem 336. Then I got my 250, it's a 1950 99R. Low and behold, the 99 could do anything his bolt gun could. It is a very accurate rifle. One of my buddy's old sayings is "small target, small pattern". I've taken that to heart. I shot my 220 pound wild boar behind the ear. The next year I shot a 150 pounder in the left eye. A while back someone on the Savage forum posted a pic of a really nice buck with a little hole behind the eye. If you shoot them behind the ear or in the eye you don't waist any meat. I'm not saying all shots can be in the ear or eye. Both deer I shot this year were behind the shoulder. But, I think a lot of folks would find that if they are patient and aim at a distinct small point, they would find they are better shots than they think they are. I've only lost one deer to my 250. The bullet went though a small maple tree and hit him on the base of his right antler, knocking it of. Maybe a bigger bullet would have knocked him down? Or, would have deflected differently and missed all together. I don't feel any need for more firepower. I have 3 06's, but intend on using my 250 for all of my pig and deer hunting. As I get older, I get less excited. I find the challenge to make a good shot as much a part of the hunt as spotting and taking the game, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin