Prime Rib?!?!?

With the current beef prices, who can afford it... OR more realistically, who WANTS to afford it?!?

Like Gilby, I use an "Instant Read" meat thermometer near the end of the cooking time.

First, I take the roast outta the 'frig and let it sit a couple of hours to bring it's internal temperature up to near room temperature.

I pre-heat the oven to 450� and while it's heating up, I coat the roast all over with melted butter, then start the roast out at 450� for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 275� and let the roast sit in the oven until the oven turns "on" again.

Then, after about an hour or so (depending on the roast's size), I check the roast with the Instant Read thermometer and the roast is usually a little over 110� (depending on the size of the roast). Sometimes, with a smaller prime rib roast, it's up to 120�... so I keep roasting it @ 275�.

After that, I check the roast's temperature about every 15 or 20 minutes (more or less) until the internal temperature hits 130-135�... and then I take the roast out of the oven and let it "rest" for 15 minutes or so... then slice it down, pour the extra meat juices into the already prepared "Sauce Chasseur" ("Hunter's Sauce" - a very yummy reduced beef broth. shallot, butter, mushroom, tarragon, wine sauce) & serve everything which includes a Saut� of Fresh Match-Stick Vegetables (mushrooms, shallots, turnips, carrots, butter & a cup of Baringer's Chenin Blanc wine) served "al dente". YUMMY !~!~! grin

Jus' fixed it a couple of nights ago and served it with a nice red Merlot wine... it was delicious, but I'm not telling anyone!!!

That's my "story"... and I'm sticking to it !~!~! (Suffer, knaves) grin grin grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...