Come april , which is still Autumn but right through to the end of October , Sees the hounds and myself head up bush each weekend.
Hunting for sambar deer with hounds has been going on here for nearly a century, I believe.
Getting more and more popular although it's not every bodies cup of tea.
Most of us are the wrong side of fifty but we get out and hunt these deer every sat , some Fridays and often have a week hunt in late august.
Dogs allowed for scent trailing are Beagles , Harriers and Blood hounds.
While trying to get a good stag is a welcome end to a hunt.
Running a deer and hearing the hounds working , for me is the main reason to be up there now.
These dogs , I've raised from pups
[Linked Image]
Here is one of my beagles, Homer ,top little dog who had many deer taken off him but was lost to a mineshaft full of water a couple years ago
[Linked Image]
Here's another couple dogs from the past ,Nuts and Gilligan with a sambar stag I took in 2004
[Linked Image]
Sambar use the water well but if the hounds can stay in touch , they will bail
[Linked Image]
Usually we travel about 2 hrs away to our normal hunting area, set up camp Friday arvo , have a look around ,a quiet beer or three , a cook up , up and at them at sunrise sat morning ,looking for a fresh deer to hunt.
The day brings what it will and back to camp after we get all the dogs back for a cook up and a few beers
Home sunday
[Linked Image]
Homer with another of his deer, that little dog ran that stag to a walk, voiced non stop through out
[Linked Image]
Last weeks effort