Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I haven't owned one, but I did get to shoot one and talk to the owner.
I'm kind of puzzled by the comments on "clunky" and heavy. If that's how you felt, why did you buy one ?

What I meant was that in my part of the world, most of the guys who got the GSR were chasing pigs in heavy cover, and I think a majority have come to the conclusion that they would probably have rather stuck with their old 30-30 lever guns for this job. If you compare the GSR to a quality 30-30 lever gun, which in the end does essentially the same thing (especially the short barrelled GSR), the old fashioned lever gun just handles faster and seems the more efficient package. A 30-30 lever with 20" barrel is of similar length and offers similar ballistics to the short barrelled GSR, but can be 6.5lb vs about 7'5lb, doesn't have the bulky magazine right where your hand wants to go, and just shoulders better and works smoother.

It depends what you want to use the rifle for, but it is still pretty hard to beat the old rear-locking American lever for a no-nonsense, reliable, compact woods rifle.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums