Originally Posted by Steelhead
Or buy a Ruger American Compact in 308 and call it a day.

This is what I did. In fact I bought 2, one in 308 and another in 223. The 2 rifles, along with 2 spare mags each cost less than the GSR. They are 2-3" shorter and a pound lighter. Both will keep 3 shots under 1.5" @ 200 yards.

I like the concept of a handy,light, compact accurate bolt rifle and have seriously considered the GSR since it came out. In the end I just felt I was paying a premium for features I'd never use. It is also a lot heavier than necessary. I have no need for a 10 round mag, 4-5 are plenty, and forward mounted scopes suck. There is nothing they do that a low powered scope with 1X or 2X on the low end mounted conventionally doesn't do better.

I think Ruger is on the right track, but with the heavy laminated stock, flash hider and a 10 round magazine protruding underneath it is neither light, compact, or handy. Put it in a lighter synthetic stock, lose the flash hider, include the smaller 3 and 5 round mags with the gun instead of having to pay extra for them, and reduce the price by about $200 and I'd buy one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.