Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
no, why would they? It's been shown time and again in many markets that the two stores can co-exist. Just like when Sporties came to town and everybody said that they would close down Mt View and B&J's and the other Mom and Pops. Didnt happen then, and it wont now.

Agree completely, I think Sportsmans will do just fine and believe the competition is good for all involved. Just because we have a Cabelas now doesn't mean I will stop going to Sportsmans.

Not sure how Bass Pro will do but the one I visited near Gillette Stadium was the biggest outdoor store i've ever been in and was quite impressive.

I think Cabela's will capture a larger part of the tourist traffic and will do a better job of keeping the right things in stock.

The bigger problem for all of the stores is finding quality help from a pool which is already mighty small. Cabela's is stocking a bunch of two-hand rods but no one in the store has a clue how to use them or how to line them...

I suspect they will get past that and hire some good folks and learn, but they did their homework in bringing in the two-handers as they will sell.

The big deal for Cabela's is going to be the stuff with their brand on it and no one will be able to compete with like products. They were very upfront about the fact they want to downsell folks into Cabela's brand gear where their margins are highest.

Sporties is going to have trouble because they have minimal stock and maximum space. Their average clerk is "special" and you have to look hard to find a decent one.

Mtn View is doing all sorts of things and I suspect they will lose their main store. They are opening a store in Seward, Soldotna, and changing the store in the Captain Cook into a specialty fly shop. They are also opening a store in California...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.