Looking forward to Spring Bear season!

Flave, Greg - I've played with bipods, but never while hunting big game. You guys leave them in your packs, or attached to your rifles while hunting?

Moose - the pack is a monster. A hair smaller would have been perfect but it cinches down well and I don't worry about bringing bulky clothing or gear... it helps fill it out. It works well. My plan was to add the smaller HighCamp pack if the bigger didn't work well for dayhunts. So far, so good (hunted deer and elk last year with it). I just noticed that Patrick Smith has an article on using packs as a shooting aid. I've always gone to the pack for prone shooting, but never thought of it as the shooting tool that it really is. Makes me re-think my pack needs to include shooting, not just carrying stuff...

Dogshooter, Bob, bigwhoop, JohnM - I know Brad and some others have mentioned that the 84M needs some fore-end control. This rifle definitely needs it too, at least with me shooting it. Not much recoil but it jumps. In contrast, I had a couple T3 rifles in 300 Win, and one in 300 WSM that I could basically let free recoil with no fore-end control. They were easy to shoot, except the recoil after a handful of rounds from prone crazy

I've had the 7-08 Montucky since last summer and have shot it a bunch. Prone with rests, bags, and pack. I experimented with the sling a little bit but most of my shooting has been with a firm grip. If I do my part, I can hit that 8" target on a regular basis. 3-for-3 is always my goal and what I expect. I've done it numerous times, but not every time.

Maybe I need to start shooting at a manhole cover?! Some of the benchrest dudes say an 8" steel is too big. Others say a little bit bigger target would be better at 500y. I know some dudes can shoot tiny groups on those big targets, but to me its much more important to hit that 8" steel every time. I don't care where too much, as long as I hit it grin Small groups on that 8" target would be even better though!

A bud just gave us a handful of 12"x12" armor plate. Its the same stuff used to armor .mil vehicles. I'm thankful to have it, but 12" targets seem too dang big for 500y! Hate to cut any down though so I'll probably make a stencil for an 8" center.

David - Leupo 6x42 with LRD reticle, M1 elevation. Shooting was done using the LRD which is the picket for 500y.

Jason