Originally Posted by exbiologist
Nope, I prefer to focus on deer, but it's a lot easier to get decent elk licenses so they get plenty of attention too. However, most of my out of state hunts are for deer (except Wyoming antelope). Only rarely go out of state for elk.

Me too, I could really care less about elk unless I have a really good tag..I do like to have one for eating tho, so if i dont draw a good tag i'll shoot one in colorado while deer hunting, every other year or so.or buy an otc spike tag here at home, or like last year an OTC idaho archery tag, I got a nice 6pt on that hunt.Archery hunting Idaho rutting elk could get addictive because they let archers hunt units OTC with a bow, that would take you years to draw a rifle tag in.

When i say shoot one while deer hunting, I mean it literally, i've never found killing just any legal bull a challenge in any colorado OTC unit i've hunted.

To be fair, if i hunted them for trophy size on mediocre tags like i do mule deer, i suppose it would be just as hard to punch the tag..But whacking a legal bull dont seem to be too hard if you aint lazy.