Originally Posted by COmarshrat
Really? Deer are only shot when they become a problem? Anyway, even deer shot on damage permits had to be utilized for food - it was/is illegal to just shoot them and let them lay...still a valued resource.

Keep the "only shot when they become a problem" in context. I was comparing how they are treated to vermin, rats in particular.

We've shot, drowned, poisoned and clubbed rats, prairie dogs, moles, gophers, dogs, cats and other pests. The "only" was in reference to these various means of dealing with them.

I suspect some problem deer may get trapped but the vast majority are shot. I don't know of any that have been poisoned, drowned, or clubbed to death.

My comment had nothing to do with hunting deer, when they are clearly shot as well, or population management by the states through the use of normal hunting licenses/carcass tags/whatever.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.