Hello! New page member here... this could be a rather addicting place! I'm looking for a bit of insight. I had a 22" Marlin in 45-70 a few years back that I ended up having to sell. Regreted it the moment the sale was complete. So, last week picked up a new Marlin guide gun in 45-70. Not having had a 45-70 in a bit I thought I'd do a little research to see what ammo is available these days for the rifle, best options, etc. Unfortunately, I don't reload, yet. Anyway, the rifle came with a box of Remington 405 grain shells (semi jacketed flat points), a box of Rem. 300 HP's and a box of 325 grain Leverlutions from Hornady. I've heard the Remington factory 405's are a decent round, even if a little under powered. I've been reading up on the Leverlutions as well, and have read some posts here on the ammo... the thing I notice in my reading is several posts (here and other sites) are a couple of years old and mainly speak of how the rounds do on paper and on deer (I hunt mule deer). The thing I'm not finding is how the round does with the heavier boned elk we find here in Idaho. 405's I know will punch right through... but is there anyone who's hunted elk with the leverlution and have been successful with it? Where did you hit the animal and how did it perform?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Mark (mlrshooter)