Nice buck you got there Otter. We don't have too many Whitetail here in Idaho... well at least in the areas I hunt in the SW - most are up North of here. We mainly have the mule deer.
That Sharps must be a fun rifle to shoot sharpsguy... I've fondled many at local gunshows, lol.
I think my biggest challenge will be to figure out the drop on particular bullets. My "point-blank" range on a 300 Win Mag is obviously quite different. The bullet power is obviously there... it's just that drop that I will need to figure out with practice at the range. I really don't want to put a scope on it if I can avoid it. Where I hunt is pretty brushy and has thick timber as well...a 100 yard shot would be pretty common. But there are some areas you come across where longer shots would be required. Maybe just setting myself a "max" range that I feel comfortable taking a shot is one way to approach it and over time maybe that range will lengthen a bit. When you compare bullet drops (granted they are lighter factory loads) on computer ballistic programs that big ol arch is a bit intimidating to deal with as you "learn" your rifle and bullet's capabilities. Depending on my ability to stalk the critter given the particular cover, wind direction, etc., a closer move may be possible. I'm not looking for the trophy buck or bull - I just want meat in the freezer. Certainly the talk of lack of blood-shot meet sounds great, as well. Disappointing when you lose some meat, for sure.