Originally Posted by moosemike
I'll take a .243 in a short action over a 6mm in a long action.

I've made peace with my 6mm in a short action, and I prefer it over a .243 in a short action. To each his own. Here was Jack's choice:

Jack's custom .244/6mm was "made by Al Biesen,the famous Spokane, Washington gunsmith...with a 1-10 twist barrel on a 1912 Mauser action for the 7mm cartridge. He fitted a Leupold 8-x Mountaineer scope and stocked it superbly in French walnut. I seldom shoot a group from a bench rest with it that goes over one inch, and many are in the neighborhood of 1/2 inch. I have shot many rockchucks with it at 300 yards and over. For all practical purposes it is about as effective as the .25/06, with less blast and recoil." "The Rifle Book" page 185-186.

So now we have a pretty good idea what Jack thought of the 6mm Remington cartridge. If Jack had been working for Remington, they would have introduced the 6mm with 1-10 twist in the first place, avoided the whole .244 Rem debacle, and maybe Remington would have had the "roaring success" and left the 243 Win in the dust.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra