The issue with older, 1946-2006 Remington triggers is the fact that they use a trigger connector. Every other gun ever made uses a trigger that connects directly to the sear. With these Remington's pulling the trigger pushes on a piece of stamped sheet metal called the connector. The connector then pushes on the sear causing it to release and fire.

FWIW, Remingtons own people discoverd the issue in 1946 and proposed a different design without the conector.

The connector slides in a groove inside the trigger and will slide back and forth on it's own. In rare cases it will contact the sear with enough force to release it with no pull of the trigger. It does not matter how the trigger is adjusted if this happens. At this point the safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Release the safety and the gun fires without anyone ever touching the trigger. At times the gun fires as soon as the bolt is closed if the connector is positioned just right on the sear.

Any gun with an improperly adjusted trigger can fire unintentionally, but this is a completely different issue. Trigger pull can be set on 20 lbs and if the connector fails, the gun fires.

I don't care how old your gun is and how many times it has worked perfectly in the past. If the conditions line up just right any of these guns can do this. My rifle was 25 years old with the trigger still as it left the factory. It did it 2-3 times on the same day 15 years ago and has not repeated the issue since. Fortunately for me it was on an empty chamber.

The issue is rare. 99% of all rifles made will simply never do this. But with 5,000,000 made since 1946 that still leaves quite a few with the potential to do so.

My 700 is retired now. I'll eventually get another trigger installed, but for I just have other, better guns to use.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.