Originally Posted by VAhuntr
A few months back I picked up a very lightly used Remington 700 ADL synthetic in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle is in great shape and has seen very little use. I contacted Remington with the serial # and was told it was made in 1999. The rifle has a very good trigger but after reading about some of the issues on past 700's....I admit to being a little leery of this rifle.

I personally know the previous owner and he assures me the trigger has never been modified from its factory form and I believe him. So, here is my question. Would you replace the factory trigger in this particular rifle and situation?

Let me expand a little more. I gave $300 for the rifle and then put a VX3 3.5-10x40 Leupold on it. It shoots very well and I really hate to mess with it. IMO, I have a very respectable, long range capable rig for a very reasonable price. My initial plans were to replace the factory stock with a McMillan and install a custom 7mm barrel. That is a ways down the road though....got to get my son through college first.

I did not post this question to start a war on the older Remington trigger design. I simply would like to know some opinions of what others would do in a similar situation.

Here's what I would do - since it was made in '99 it won't have that idiotic X-mark trigger. I would remove the action from the stock. A quick peek would see whether the sealant is still on the adjustment screws - therefore the guy who said he hadn't messed with it is probably truthful. I would completely disassemble that trigger and clean the crap out of, and off of, every single part then dry 'em and reassemble to test for function. I would also never allow WD-40 within five feet of it.. If you're not familiar with a proper disassembly and adjustment of weight and overtravel on the Rem trigger I'd simply advise you to leave it alone or take it to a 'smith who KNOWS the Rem trigger and have them take care of it..

I've got two M700s, earlier than 2000, and ensure those triggers are CLEAN and DRY before I take them out of the shop..

FWIW

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!