Originally Posted by VAhuntr
A few months back I picked up a very lightly used Remington 700 ADL synthetic in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle is in great shape and has seen very little use. I contacted Remington with the serial # and was told it was made in 1999. The rifle has a very good trigger but after reading about some of the issues on past 700's....I admit to being a little leery of this rifle.

I personally know the previous owner and he assures me the trigger has never been modified from its factory form and I believe him. So, here is my question. Would you replace the factory trigger in this particular rifle and situation?

Let me expand a little more. I gave $300 for the rifle and then put a VX3 3.5-10x40 Leupold on it. It shoots very well and I really hate to mess with it. IMO, I have a very respectable, long range capable rig for a very reasonable price. My initial plans were to replace the factory stock with a McMillan and install a custom 7mm barrel. That is a ways down the road though....got to get my son through college first.

I did not post this question to start a war on the older Remington trigger design. I simply would like to know some opinions of what others would do in a similar situation.

The only one that can decide what to do about that is you. I have had a number of 700's over the years and have three right now. Never one time has this problem happened to me and I've never seen it in any other 700. You only have two option's as I see it. get the trigger changed or fixed and shoot it as it is. That's it! Mine are rather old, don't know the year. I have re-set all of their triggers. Two are at 3# as far as I could go and the other got to a bit under three pounds.