What I will illustrate is once a horse is setup and maintained using the Jeffery Paradigm, as in similar crown height and similar table angles in the cheek teeth. A 5 degree or so incisor table angle and much molar occlusion as possible. It is hard for them to be much work to maintain that way.
You are correct my initial charges to get a horse on the way to being balanced are closer to $225. But once it is balanced The time and therefore the expense of maintaining the equines teeth on a six month or yearly basis take about 15 minutes.This usually occurs on the third visit(3 in 18 months) It is not hard keep a pasture horse balanced on a yearly basis in most cases for under $125. (Unless they are naughty). So that is my point about the insanity deal. If you find the right dentist, pay a little more upfront, you will get really good results in both performance and utilization of feed and most likely end up paying less in the long run.

Anyways I do mostly quarter horses,thoroughbreds, and warmbloods in Minnesota. Most are stalled with turnout. I do a bunch of horses in a valley near days creek Oregon. Those horses grazing on that mountain side have excellent dentition as they are most like a true desert horse and keep their incisors very short. I believe it is all about keeping as little clinical crown in the mouth, the shorter the teeth the less unstable and protuberant they can get. Like I say when I finish emptying out my Moms house and get home I will post some photo's and illustrations.

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/24/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills