Originally Posted by 16bore
Anyone remember when you just told your buds to have their chit zeroed and don't be late?

Another good reason to hunt solo. Two if you ignore the first. smile

My first "caribou gun" was a Ruger 77V in .25-06 with fiddle-back stock, stem to stern. Factory all the way. Killed 23 caribou with it over 2 years time, mostly with the 120 Speer bullet.. MOA with fire-formed reloads, and 5 inch groups @100 with factory... Dynamite on caribou! In a dumass moment, I sold it.

God that was a beauty! I've never sold a gun in the 30 years since. And they are all ugly, but they shoot pretty good....

Back in 'bou country, I'm now hunting with a .260 Rem 725SA with a 700TI take-off bbl screwed on to replace the former .244 rusted out, inherited bbl. Ugliest gun I've ever owned. It likes 140 grain bullets, tho I prefer 120s in this caliber. No, you can't buy it...

The other one is a Mauser 98 with a 27 inch heavy "Finnish sniper" bbl found hru Sportsman's Guide in '06 caliber. Haven't tried anything but 150's in it, but with the first box of shells I did the initial sight-in, 6 caribou, and a couple sight-checks before various hunts... Can't buy this one either.

The 725 has killed to over 300 yards on bou, an elk at 150, wolf at 40. the Mauser out to 450 or so..

Both shoot 2 inch groups at 300, plus or minus a couple decimal points, depending ... both are zeroed at 300.

I'd trade both for that Ruger back.....tho caliber plays no issue in the desire. And neither produces the blood-shot trauma the Ruger did.

Boy, I'd like that Ruger back! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.