Originally Posted by Primal_Phil
Now being new to gun dogs, Do I HAVE to send mine to one of those month long stays and have them trained by a pro? 600 is steep for me since the pup is going to be in the 700-1000 range. Im weighing my options BEFORE I get the pup so I want to see if I can do it myself.

In regards to Brittanies being sensitive, I think I'll be ok there. I have 2 collies that I've worked with and trained and them are probably the most sensitive dogs I've ever met.

First of all I doubt ou will get many 'reputable' trainers to take a green dog for a month. Personally I don't take a 'pup' until it is 7 mo. minimum. the pup must have basic training(sit, stay, down and come) and I will not take it for less than 3 mos. Most trainers I know have similar requirements. If you are already experienced to some extent with basic dog training and get a good DVD and book, there is no reason you cant do the job your self successfully. If you put in the work you will have something that no trainer can teach a dog, you will have that certain bond with your dog that only time and trust can instill. Another plus would be to join your local pointing dog or versatile club, there will be many experienced owners who will be happy to help you with problems as they arise. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the ride.

BORN to HUNT