Originally Posted by 16gauge
I second the Wolter's books; I used "Game Dog" and "Water dog" to train my retrievers (I've never trained a pointer....yet), and they came out well.
As for sending off a dog to a professional: I don't know what you are expecting, but if you are just looking for a hunting companion, I say do it yourself. I trained all my dogs (1 American water spaniel, 2 Chesapeakes, and a Labrador) myself....what I wanted was a dog that would 1.) find birds within gun range 2.) flush said birds 3.) retrieve to hand the birds that were shot and 4.) retrieve ducks to hand that were shot and 6.) do their best to recover cripples.
So far, I haven't been disappointed....I have made mistakes (my first dog had a bit of a hard mouth), but I learned from them. You will need to invest TIME, however.....if not, you will send them to a pro and invest money. It doesn't take much time, but it does take some time. It will also take some investment into items like: bumpers, starter pistols, pigeons, etc, etc.
....but over all, I would say that I got just as much out of the time invested as the dog did, so it was a win-win situation all the way around.

While I agree those are both good books, they are for flushing retrievers and waterfowl dogs where as the OP needs something for 'versatile pointing dogs'. Training a pointing dog is a art all to it's self. I am a flushing retriever gundog trainer and would not want to try to coach someone training a pointing dog( although I have worked with pointing retrievers on the retrieve aspect. I'm sure the OP could get some value out of Water Dog if he intends to use his Brit as a small water retriever, the Wolters book he should be using is Gundog. It is geared toward the pointing breeds.

This would be a good DVD to have IMO
http://www.gundogsupply.com/gundogdvd.html

BORN to HUNT