Originally Posted by LostHighway
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Wolters "Gun Dogs" or "Game Dog" are good places to start.

Rick Smith is pretty amazing too. Maybe get one of his video's.

I don't know much about training upland dogs but having run retriever HT and FT for 10 years I can say Wolters books are GARBAGE.

Well,, I ran amature FT's for about 15yrs and I can tell you first hand that if a guy will follow his methods to the letter he'll come away with a dam good meat dog 99% of the time.
Allot of times the heavy handed woa post/force fetch methods used by Field Trialer's trying to get those "FC" letters in the AKC books so they can charge more for pups are just as likely to ruin what probably would have been a good hunting companion as not.

I guess it all depends on one's goals and experience level but for the average Joe just wanting to go hunting with a good dog that he trained (which I get the impression the OP is) Wolters methods will work fine. (IMO) But, like everything else, you gotta stick with it.
And that's from someone who's actually done it, not just parroted what I've heard or read on the interweb. (Not directed at anyone in particular.)

I'm not saying his books arte the be all, end all to dog training but to say they're "garbage" simply isn't true.

PS,,, Foxton is right about not using "Water Dog" to train a Pointer. That's why he wrote three different books.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 08/09/14.