October 29th I leave for a 5-day hunt on Snake River Ranch, one of Colorado�s RFW (Ranching For Wildlife) ranches. This is a self-guided hunt and there are two area I am specifically interested in. I hunted there before, in 2007, 2010 and 2012 and have taken 4 cows off the ranch. (In 2007 they allowed 2.) son-in-law got his first in 2010 on the ranch. Tags are the same price as for public land but limited to residents only.

If that doesn�t work out I also have a leftover tag for Unit 3, 3rd rifle season. Pretty much a worthless tag if the migration doesn�t come, but I�m counting on an early winter to help things along. Since the two seasons overlap and the areas are close I won�t have to move camp.

For deer I have a Unit 4, 3rd rifle buck tag.

Primary rifle will be the Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed away. I haven�t had time to develop loads for it but it seems to like white box Winchester 180g Power Points. Two days ago I had it at the range and sot 3 Federal 180g �Deer Thug� bonded soft points into a 1� group despite high, gusty winds. Velocity wasn't what I wanted, mid-2600�s, but they will get a good look before I make my final decision on ammo.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.