The 36 is a POS in compare. It takes hits in all optical facets,that bear fruit and I honestly don't know a single soul who can stomach one...though there's literally 100's of 6x42's in circulation with pards.

Distance is a function of knowing same and correlating POA/POI intersections,which mechanically are limited by:

1) erector travel latitude
2) reticle subtension latitude
3) their melding in conjunction

This of course removing atmospheric wind from the equation,which is VooDoo more so than Physics and moot as per erector discussions.

I OFTEN hear "I'm never going to shoot that far!",prior to taking someone out for some hands on for the first time. It's a lovely Theorum,that holds water...until the first shot.(grin)

To connect those dots,prior to doing same,I always offer the constant of whatever distance you can break a clean shot on crosshair intersection,that's what you can do with POA/POI correlation. Typically it isn't a function of "too much" distance,rather a function of the Operator's abilities,in conjunction with their knack for finding and using a field rest. I'll ALWAYS ask "can you hold it?",prior to a round being chambered and if so,bet your ass that is where it will go. So it's "send it".

The 6x42 has no equal in eye-relief,ease of acquisition,exceedingly generous eye box,brightness and erector travel to weight ratios. None.

Very easy to eek 50MOA of erector latitude out of one,the other side of a 200-ish yd zero and slap schit in other zipcodes silly.

Looking at your dope,there's no way I'd zero a 280AI at 150yds for ANY reason. The 160X is a bitter pill,even though noone LOVES X's more than I. The whole point is to maximize the platform,so as to yield the most potential as a default setting,which is of course it's zero. That is factored by numerous things,including application,velocity and BC.

In summation,I am happy to launch 162's out of a 7-08 at 2700fps and a 225yd zero...well past the 1000yd line via the 6x42.

Flip side being,you couldn't run fast enough to catch me,in order to GIVE me a 6x36 for free.................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."