Originally Posted by 4th_point
Also, I have a really hard time believing that was a 250lb blacktail. Was that serious or a joke!? That buck must have had lead in his hide to weigh 250. How much meat did you get?

That one went 242..... on the scale ....

I'll send a PM with a pic of the one we shot the next day that was 40lbs heavier.

These aren't your high country, rain forest blacktail.... they're lowland, farm country blackies.... and they're well fed.

I do use a ballistic turret.... and it works well.... as long as I'm +/- 2 inHg. I know it cost me a couple targets running the turret down in Raton.... but I wanted to see how well that turret would work under that set of circumstances. I also said I had other charts based on the pressure where I'm shooting. The watch simply ets me know which chart to run.

As illustrated above.... pressure actually has MORE effect on Wind (slightly), than it does elevation.... particularly when we use extremes.... visa vis... blacktail on the coast one week.... and Muleys at 10k the very next week.

I carry a couple charts all the time. When I get to the location I'll be shooting, I take a reading and go with the chart that's closest. No 'guessing'....

Like Ric said..... it all depends on what you're trying to hit. Moose and elk vitals are a lot bigger than coyote and antelope vitals. 12"-18" gongs are a lot easier to hit than 6" gongs.... adjustments must be more precise. Seems like $100 is a pretty cheap way to afford the luxury of not having to guess.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......