Back to basics: duck call, a few decoys, waders, camo jacket, and a shotgun & some steel shotshells.
I started hunting with what I've listed above....I was in high school/college at the time, so I didn't have any extra money for boats, expensive calls, etc. Still blowin' on the $5 yentzen duck call I bought so long ago.....and the ducks still come to it.
I've come full circle....I had the spinners, a plethora of boats, flocks of decoys, etc. I'm slowly whittling down what I have.....one boat will be going on the block next spring, as well as a few decoys. I can only put out so many by myself, anyway.

The spinners: Worked great for a year or two....they everybody and his brother got one. The ducks associated them with gun fire (those that survived....and there were a LOT, as a lot of idiots think that duck hunting HAS to be a long range game, when it really doesn't), and started flaring the moment they saw them.
Calls? Never heard a $200 one that sounded any better than a $20 one, at least to the ducks.....can't say about those fancy callin' contests. I do like a call made out of wood, however.....wood FLOATS!!! Drop your acrylic call in the water some time and see how easy it is to find!!!!

Good luck this fall....keep us posted.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"