A field Citori is NOT a trap gun. Clays, perhaps. Skeet, maybe, but trap requires a different high comb stock for most folks.

I have owned perhaps a dozen 12 ga OU shotguns.. I like Browning Superposed guns, but they run heavy. Citori is bank vault strong, but heavier yet. Winchester 101 pigeon grades are nice, but they were not "it" for me. Forget Rugers and most of the economy imports.

For me, I found the field upland bird gun years ago in a delightful Browning 20 Superposed Pigeon Grade. (It does have inertia triggers. The 20s are light). I finally became happy with a 12 in a Beretta SP IV. Attractive, light enough for field use, very OK for occasional clays, but it is neither stocked for or heavy enough for trap.

I am not a proponent of long barrels on a field gun. My 20 has 26 1/2" and my 12 has 28". A bunch of 26" 12s made me choose 28" for that gauge. They need to be a bit longer.

For what you described, both use and budget, I would recommend a Citori Trap 12 and a Beretta 20 field gun. Careful shopping should net you two nice used guns within budget or very close to it. Screw in chokes for each would lend a lot of versatility.

Best wishes,,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/03/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero