Mr Shoemaker,

If you don't mind I have a couple questions for you?

I was reading an old Gun Digest and came across an awesome article about Kodiak Bear hunting by a couple of guys by the name of Ray Orodica and Andy Runyan.
I was just wondering if you knew them?
The gentlemen I mentioned favoured big bores .458's, doubles and especially .416's and Mr Runyan also favoured using the lightest bullets for his .416. Funnily enough he had nothing nice to say about the .375 for big bears but I'm sure his choices are all based on personal experience. As I stated it is a great article!

My second question is how do shotgun slugs work on big bears? I'm not talking about fancy ones just the plain jane lead ones fired out of a smooth bore?

And lastly what is your opinion of the .303 Lee Enfield as a bear rifle? As an Australian, I dearly love the old .303's and figure as a scrub rifle they have a lot going for them. Rugged, handy (once sporterised), fast to cycle, 10 shot mag and powerful. Just not sure if it is powerful enough?

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Regards,

Russ.

Last edited by BadboyMelvin; 09/04/14.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...