Russ, I knew Andy Runyon well and he was one of the truly great Alaskan bear guides and a knowledgable rifle loony as well. Andy killed as many big bears as any other famous Kodiak guides and after a failing to stop a wounded bruin with his 375 decided to get a bigger rifle. He loved the 404 and 416 calibers. I talk a little about him in an upcoming feature in Rifle magazine on the 416 Ruger.
I only know Ray Ordorica as a part time writer/journalist who wrote a few articles and apparently was fascinated with big bores and Alaska.

As for the 303 and bears, after I gave the 416 Rigby that I kept in our outhouse for bear protection to my son I replaced it with a sporterized 1906 SMLE. As a Lee Speed fan I had no doubt as to the 303's effectiveness and thought having a SMLE in the outhouse had a certain poetic appeal as well.

And I have never seen any reason to use a soft Foster style shotgun slug as protection from animals that can weigh over 600kg but every person whom I have talked with who tried have claimed that they would never do it again due to lack of penetration.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.