Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by yukonphil
like Ted i guided and i can tell you that i had sometimes to tell our hunter(s) what they can or can't do but at the end they are as responsible as the guide for their actions.

No way. Not even close. A "guide" is just that.. A "guide". They call the shot on everything. That's why people hire guides. The buck always should stop at the guide. In AK, they are responsible for making sure the client follows the letter of the law. If I get boarded and I have 15 violation, I will get all 15, my clients will walk away. End of story.

There are many other ways by whiich "guide" is defined. Certainly there are some specifics which a guide holds sole/ultimate responsibility for; they must know the laws as they apply but that in no way means that only they need be aware of them. If a guide encourages a client to cross the line; that's on both of them. If a guide allows a client to fudge the law; that's on both of them. If a client simply refuses to follow a directive; that's on the client. A client who needs a guide to know what the laws say is a hunter in need of a babysitter. (The hunter should know size requirements for example; the value of a good guide is knowing what a certain value actually is without putting a tape to the animal.)

I'm not home right now, otherwise I'd post the reg, but I don't have my paperwork. It plainly states that the guide is responsible for making sure that client follows all laws, and does all the paperwork. To the best of my recollection, I cannot think of 1 case were the clients gets a ticket, in a guided case. It's always the guide, even on the filling out the back of licenses, etc.

Guided in the outdoors is just that.. guided. I've never had a client know the laws in AK. The laws are complex, they change, and they rely on the guide to "guide" them. I've had over a thousand type A personalities on my boat, and I've never had 1 of them dare not follow one of my directions. If a guide can't control his clients, he's in the wrong business.