Originally Posted by Nate40
Well I done gone and done it. I've been looking for a cheaper rifle to use as a backup gun, and came across a Remington 742 in 308, did a little trading and got it. Ive always liked the looks and feel of them but the mixed reviews had me worried but decided to take a shot. Just curious if there's anything I need to know before I start waisting bullets? Is there a certain way I need to clean it? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Only way to properly clean that rifle is a complete disassembly. Unless you're very familiar with the multitude of parts inside that rifle, I would suggest you do not do that yourself.. That bolt head alone houses several very tiny parts that, if lost, may not be easily replaced..

If nothing else, that chamber MUST be kept spotlessly shiny.. I hope you were lucky enough to get a magazine or two with it that actually works - many do not..

With the action closed, shine a light in the slot behind the operating handle onto the back side(s) of the receiver. IF you see about 5-6 ratchet-like teeth marks on the rails, the best thing you can do then is to IMMEDIATELY trade it back in for something/anything else - because you're about to be the proud owner of a single-shot rifle..

After 15 years of working on those rifles I no longer service them - as of January 1st this year. The vast majority of those rifles are now battered beyond any real repair.. IF you happen to have a part of the bolt face ripped off due to a dirty/fouled chamber good luck finding a replacement bolt head..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!