I think that these guns may get a bad rap.kinda like the case of one bad apple spoiling the barrel ...Here's my limited experience with them..I didn't know that they were considered a lemon,and so I bought a 742 in 30-06 at a pawn shop about 5 ,or 6 years back for $300 ,no clip,but Weaver steel tube scope.I ordered a clip for about $25,or $30 .I never used the gun,and eventually put a Chinese scope on it..I then started hearing that these were not much of a gun,so I sold it for $300 with the Chinese scope..I ran into the guy that bought about 2 years ago,and he has been pleased with it..About a year ago I bought a Chinese scoped, 7400 in 270 on synthetic for $150 which Cleaned up really well,and I have shot it some,and never had an issue with it..Most people don't shoot these rifles except for hunting,so you are likely buying an old gun that hasn't been shot a lot..I don't like the weight of them,but like you said you got it for a cheap back-up.It's nice to have a gun that you don't have to worry about ruffing up on the four wheeler,or putting them up against a tree to get a good steady shot..You can get to most of the bolt with the clip out.I would just clean the barrel,and what you can get to without tearing it down unless it goes to acting up on you..I think as cheap as these guns sell for they are a pretty good gamble,and like that other guy said pull the bolt back with the clip out,and you can pretty well see if it's led a ruff life...Good luck