Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I don't think you read what I actually wrote. New shooters are poorly served by starting with all the recoil and muzzle blast of a big magnum, that is something to work up to. I have lost track of the number of people I have started shooting using my SBH and reduced loads. Why? Because it is so very easy to shoot and hit the target with. They move up to any of a dozen other handguns, but for starters mine is a good choice.

Once again, that makes no sense.

What are you trying to teach these "new shooters"? How to pull a trigger? How to handle an SBH?

Start your new shooters out on a 22lr. Move them up when they are ready. I've had great success training new shooters on a 22lr semi-auto pistol first, and then moving them to a full-size 1911 - they like an autoloading pistol - just more fun.

Now if the only handgun you own is an SBH, that's different story( But then that makes me wonder why the heck a new shooter would go out and buy a 44 mag in the first place). If you only own one handgun, and for some reason it is a 44 mag, and you're into reloading, then I can see the desire to craft some different loads.

But I personally carry a 45acp when I want 44 mag "240gr800fps" power-level. But then I've got more than one handgun smile