I've owned an 89, 94, 99, and currently a 2010, all 2 doors. They have never been a daily driver nor 1st line vehicle for me, just a toy. I take the doors and top off for 4-5 months a year and use it like a 4 wheeled motorcycle in decent weather. It is a 3rd vehicle the rest of the year and not bad in snow during the winter. It gives us 2 4X4 vehicles in the driveway in addition to the Honda. If I did intend to use as a DD I would go with the 4 door.

I've had no bad experiences with any of them. Sold the 89, and 99 to partially finance a new truck when I needed one, sold the 94 to pay for a new roof. When I got to the point where I felt I could afford another we bought the 2010 used about a year ago.

I love the vehicles, but wouldn't get rid of a truck and go Wrangler only. As said earlier, they all have been expendable when money was needed worse for other stuff. The good news is that they hold value very well. I've bought all used, driven them a few years and got most of my money back.

All of them suck at towing even light loads. Around 2000 lbs is about it although they do offer a max tow package on some with a 4000 lb limit. Those are pretty rare and the odds of finding a used one are slim, and I still wouldn't tow over 2000 with one.

If set up right they are more capable of hard core off roading than a truck, but like you most don't do that. I just view a 4X4 truck as more versatile. Fuel mileage is about the same too BTW. In fact on older versions, 2006 and older, they get much worse fuel mileage than a 1/2 ton truck with a V-8.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.