Originally Posted by 805
Bob
Looking at the jacket thickness/shape and hollow cavity helps determine how the bullet might react and expand when being shot into an animal. Having shot a number of animals with the berger vld I am going to be trying a few other bullets also. You need to remember that a bullet such as this is designed to penetrate and then open causing massive trauma. The scenar and hybrid bergers are know to also stay together a bit better and exit.
Not being a smartass but how can you tell a partition will kill looking at the construction of it?

805: Thanks for the explanation!

To answer your question on the Partition,it's pretty simple but maybe Nosler says it better than I can smile :

Partition Bullet
PARTITION BULLET

1 Nosler Engineering
Nosler�s special lead-alloy, dual-core provides superior mushrooming characteristics at virtually all impact velocities.

2 Fully Tapered Copper-Alloy Jacket
Ruptures instantly at the thin jacket mouth, yet the gradual thickening along the bullet�s axis controls expansion and curls the jacket uniformly outward at high and low velocities.

3 Nosler�s Integral Partition
Supports the expanded mushroom and retains the rear lead-alloy core. The enclosed rear core retains more than two-thirds of the original bullet weight for deep penetration.

4 Dual-Core Construction
Every Partition� bullet in the Nosler� line delivers optimum length, weight and ogive design for maximum in-flight and terminal performance.

5 Special Crimp Locks
Adds strength to resist deformation under the pressure of heavy magnums.

Edited to add: I just went to the Lapua web site to learn something about the Scenar. It seems it has been designed and refined as a target bullet for competition, and not as a game bullet, like a Partition. At least Lapua makes no mention of its use as a hunting bullet. It seems Lapua makes other bullets for that.

I can only conclude from this that its effectiveness on game is more "accident" than intentional by design. So my question was a valid one, since I was wondering what characteristics a guy looks for when evaluating a target bullet for use on BG animals,since the target bullet was not designed by its maker for that purpose? I really don't know what you look for under those circumstances.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/22/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.