I know the 260 rem with 140 sierra gamekings is an excellent Kodiak deer and goat round. It has been my go to rifle for everything but elk until now. And even if it works for elk (hopefully I'll be able to let you know on that one) I do know I would not use it to hunt brown bear.

I carry pepper spray for the bears. Pepper spray works (I used it once) and I'm not sure if I would be able to kill a bear quick before the bear got to me (or even get a shot off) even if I had a 375 HH. So for me the 260 rem is fine.

And as I said I've learned that the 300 win mag or 338 isn't ideal for elk either. I'm hoping I'll actually kill better with the 260 because I'll shoot better with it.

But I have to admit those 260 cartridges just look so darn small. .. .

And finally I agree with las about the corelokts. I used them all the time until they stopped selling them here. VERY accurate in my 260.

I also think because the 260 has lower velocities that soft core and cup bullets work just fine. I know I have had no issues with bullet failure with almost 40 animals and counting. And I have had some catastrophic bullet failures with my 270 and 300 WM. I had to stop using sierra gamekings and ballistic tips in my 270 because at close range they did crazy things. I once blew a grapefruit sized hole in the shoulder of a deer with a 130g ballistic tip from the 270. It ran off and I had to kill it ugly. The same thing would not have happened if I had fired the same bullet at the lower velocities of the 260.

And thank you all for the advice, I now have the confidence to use the 260 rem on Afognak Elk. I'll let you know how it goes.