I am new to the MH scene, with fairly extensive centerfire handloading experience. Reading here and first shoot at the range is proving that the two are very different.

The question I have come to in sighting in with a Traditions Vortek Ultralight LDR Magnum western, is that when shooting a TC 370 gr. maxiball with 110 gr of Tripple 7 FFg, and using musket caps, I am getting good groups. As I have worked the loads up to the 110gr of powder, and adjusted for maximum elevation on the rear open sights (factory sight) I remain 10 inches low at 100 yards.

The question specifically is can/should I continue to work powder loads upwards to increase velocity and "flatten" trajectory so that I can zero at 100 yards, can increased powder move impact up the target by 10 inches with the same bullet, or is it more of sight issue and I should be looking for an upgraded sight to install on the gun? I am ok with some additional recoil with the powder increase, but seems as though I should be able to zero at 100 yards with this load.

For referrence, I have shot a 320 grain maxiball and it is about 8 inches high with the same load and no change to the sights.

Application is for elk hunting, so my intuition is for the heavier bullet.

Any advice is most appreciated.