Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Curious if you guys ever have a concern with the mono metal bullets penetrating through and hitting something else behind the animal. Antelope and Elk travel in herds. Ever been concerned about them passing through an antelope and hitting a few others behind causing injury?

With smaller animals any bullet has that potential. I can think of several doubles I've had with caribou (where we have a 5/day limit) where a second animal is not much concern other than the possibility of an ugly wounding shot.

One such case happened for me when I stuck a large bull with a 100 Corelokt in 6mm. The pass-through struck a cow in the jaw and she took off like she had a fire under her tail until I gave her another, more lethal, shot.

I have also doubled with the 200 NBT in a 340; a 100 XFB in 7mm-08; a 150 XFB in 30-06 (which passed through both); and watched my son tag two reindeer with one 150 grain Interlock (contract over-run) with his 280.

I think I only ever caught one 100 Sierra Pro-Hunter in my 6 while killing several dozen caribou with it; never doubled, but the potential was probably there. I also never caught a 140 XFB in 7mm-08, also without doubling, so it also could have. (I did catch a 120 TSX in 7mm-08 the first time out with them...go figure!)

I have bullets of every flavor I've collected from moose- from Interlocks and Gamekings, to Partitions, A-Frames, and Grand Slams, as well as several X iterations of .338, .358 and .375. I've also gotten pass-throughs on moose with everything from NBTs and Core-lokts through Fail-Safes and XFBs so you always need to be aware with any of them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.