Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Milsurp wool DRESS pants. Not the heavy cargo pocket ones but the lighter weight dress type. They're light enough to wear up to 70F, will keep you comfortable down to 25 or 30 as they are, and with polypro long johns, are good to 0 or so. They're cheap, very durable, and ugly, but are the best pants I've ever found.

What he says. Cheap, quiet, butt ugly, but wide range of comfort. Anything works in nice weather; it is when you are miles from camp and things change that you appreciate GOOD clothing.

hands can be tough. I like glacier gloves with the mitt cover. You can start out with the mitts in the am, transition to fingerless, and go bare handed if nice. And quick to shoot from. Choice of fleece or neoprene.

Watch sierra trading post. I got some blaze orange polypropylene t-shirts which are a great first layer, and can be worn alone if it really gets warm. Wool or fleece shirts. For layering, they have to be orange. I like a windproof fleece jacket for cold weather, and have a fleece covered down vest as another layer. Works for all but the nastiest weather, when I use a waterproof, windproof breathable orange layer and combos of the other layer.

Head can be tough too. Too hot and a closed hat will sweat you to death, but that same hat will freeze your head if it is cold or rainy. I wear the ventilated hat when hiking and warm, and stuff a stocking hat in my pack just in case. If it is cold, I go to a closed top hat. And if really cold, I have a fur lined orange hat with ear flaps. Don't hike in it - use another hat because you will get soaked.

Not sure how you will be hunting, but this may help with organization: I'm sitting in Billings, MT waiting for a hunting partner to show at the airport. In the back of the truck is a rubbermaid tote with all the outer layers in it. They go in there when I get to the truck, and when I leave in the am, they come out.

Boots - something that fits! Lacrosse made an alltemp boot that is a rubber bottomed boot with thin liners for warm weather, felt liners for cold weather, as long as you keep moving. Leather or even tennis shoes in hot weather. GOOD wool socks and linersocks, even on a warm day. Good liners minimize blisters, but so do Russell moccasins!

Enjoy your prep - but start researching now. Santa Claus is coming soon ;-)