Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by deadeyedan
Thanks for the info guys.

Is anyone using the "systems" like Sitka, First Lite, or Kuiu?

They are a bit pricey for me but curious if they are all they say they are?

"Systems" are probably a good way to roll if you can afford it but I've basically pieced my bunch of duds together-and from August to November I wear...

Icebreaker 1/4 zip merino as my base layer.

Marmot 1/4 zip fleece over that (take it off when I hike usually)

Pants- Cabelas MicroTex

And I carry a First Lite Uncompahgre and then my rain gear in the lid of my pack.

If I'm getting into later October and November mule deer hunts I will add synthetic long underwear and maybe another insulating shirt under my IceBreaker merino, but I hike and move a lot, so I stay pretty light on clothing. That "system" worked well for me in Alaska, and in Colorado.

It might not look as cool as a full on Kuiu or Sitka "system" but then again I'm no mountain athlete or Pro-Staffer...grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner is spot on. I have been running two pairs of microtex pants for over 10 years and they get used a lot!

It's easy to pack way too many clothes. My feet need Lowa boots. I either run the Tibets or the Camino. I always have an internal debate on which rain gear / outer shell to pack. It gets used the least but when you need it, you really need it. The best stuff tends to be on the heavier side so there seems to be a lot of compromises that get considered. I still haven't got the outer shell right yet.